Wednesday 23 October 2013

Hardware scheduling & stuff

Came across an interesting article on the hardware scheduling stuff AMD is finally getting together.

One of the more interesting aspects of the hardware and their HSA efforts. I'm surprised it took so long to finally realise something like this. But when I think about it, it CAN only work if the GPU goes through the same memory protection mechanisms as the CPU, and they've only just done that.

This should mean much faster graphics drivers as well as significnatly reduced OpenCL job dispatch overheads. I've had issues with large job dispatch overheads on AMD before so i'm interested in seeing what difference it makes.

I wonder how the job queues for CPU jobs are handled by the operating system and it's scheduler? Can they replace the run-queue entirely?

On a side note I haven't been doing a lot of hacking outside of work lately. Too many family related distractions, a wedding, and other stuff. Just don't have the energy at the moment.

At work i've been playing with some interesting resampling techniques using fourier transforms, I might post a bit about it later.

No comments: