Friday 28 February 2014

javafx + internet radio = partial success?

After a long and pointless goose-chase with different versions of ffmpeg and libav ... I got my internet radio thing to work from JavaFX.

It turned out to be at least partly a problem with my proxy code. The ice-cast stream doesn't include a Content-Length header (because you know, it's a stream), so this was causing libfxplugins to crash as in my previous post on the subject. Shouldn't really cause a crash - at most it should just throw a protocol error exception? Not sure if it has javafx security implications (e.g. if media on a web page through the web component goes through the same mechanism it certainly does - Update: I filed a bug in jira, and it seems to have been escalated - even at this late stage of java 8).

If I add a made-up content-length value at least I get the music playing, .. but the 'user experience' isn't very good because it seems to change how much it pre-buffers depending on the reported length (rather strange i think). So if i report 1-10M it starts after a few seconds but if i report some gigantic number it buffers for minutes (or maybe it never starts, i lost patience). The problem is that as the data length is hounoured (as it should be) which means that too small a number causes the stream to finish quickly. And it seems to read the same stream twice at the same time which is also odd.

To be blunt I find it pretty perplexing 'in this day and age' that javafx doesn't support streaming media to start with. Or that g-"so-called-streamer" seems to be the reason for this. If I could work out how to compile libfxplugins.so from the openjfx dist I would have a poke, but alas ...

I was going to go ahead with the application anyway but I think because of this streaming issue I wont - or if I do I wont be using javafx to do the decoding which is a bit of a pain.

Update 2: The bug has just been patched. 4 working days from reporting and if the openjdk schedule is still correct, just 2 weeks from release. So yeah I guess it was reasonably important and even just mucking about has value.

2 comments:

haxy said...

Hi, could i get your code for this?, im having issues implementing streaming from ice/shout cast servers
crap MediaException: UNKNOWN : com.sun.media.jfxmedia.MediaException: Could not create player! : com.sun.media.jfxmedia.MediaException: Could not create player!

NotZed said...

I don't really have anything worth publishing. But it was just a trivial http proxy which isn't much code.

But ... there isn't much point, javafx's mediaplayer simply doesn't support streaming.

Trying to connect directly will just fail and trying to fudge it with a proxy didn't work well enough - either it cuts out after a few minutes (once 'content-length' has been reached), or it doesn't play for minutes as it's trying to buffer too much (must be percentage based, or just downloads the lot).